PDA

View Full Version : Report: Peak Putters 2009 Rimrock Camp Out Run - Sep 2009

commando14
09-11-2009, 11:43 PM
This marks the 3rd year for this run. We leave the snow park at Ahtanum and go up and over divide dropping into Rimrock for three days of wheeling and two nights of tent camping out of the rigs. It was wet and muddy, here are the pics: http://www.peakputters.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1679

mdmead
09-12-2009, 08:33 AM
Great pics and trip reports!

kicker1_solo
09-12-2009, 02:46 PM
Isn't this what destroys trails and gets them closed? :scratch:

colemancooler
09-12-2009, 03:40 PM
isn't what? what gets trails closed, I do not see anything wrong

commando14
09-12-2009, 04:00 PM
Isn't this what destroys trails and gets them closed? :scratch:

We avoided spinning our tires as used our winches as much as possible... it's the people who play in these mud holes for fun that is damaging the trail and will get it closed. Unfortunatley we seen other groups of rigs coming out of the lower trails completely covered in mud, and several rigs camped next to us with broken parts from playing in the mud holes. 608 is getting pretty bad due to over-use and people with big tires dropping in these holes and throwing mud for fun. We did notice the rocks in some of the ruts and holes that Clay and his group laid down a few weeks ago which is great, it definatley helps. This trail is starting to remind me of the Powerline trail at Naches that was closed due to all of the damage...hopefully it doesn't end up the same.

kicker1_solo
09-12-2009, 04:22 PM
We avoided spinning our tires as used our winches as much as possible... it's the people who play in these mud holes for fun that is damaging the trail and will get it closed. Unfortunatley we seen other groups of rigs coming out of the lower trails completely covered in mud, and several rigs camped next to us with broken parts from playing in the mud holes. 608 is getting pretty bad due to over-use and people with big tires dropping in these holes and throwing mud for fun. We did notice the rocks in some of the ruts and holes that Clay and his group laid down a few weeks ago which is great, it definatley helps. This trail is starting to remind me of the Powerline trail at Naches that was closed due to all of the damage...hopefully it doesn't end up the same.
Okay, good deal. It's hard to tell from pics sometimes

http://www.peakputters.com/forum/userpix/13_IMG_5183_1.jpg

http://www.peakputters.com/runs/rimrock9-5-09/19.JPG

Wheeling in mud never looks "trail friendly", but it's great to hear that you guys were careful. And I did noticed the extensive use of winches.

Looks like a good time, and some fun trails. :thumbright:

kicker1_solo
09-12-2009, 04:25 PM
isn't what? what gets trails closed, I do not see anything wrong
When I got my ticket, Mr Jonny Law pretty much told me that it's illegal to drive on the trails when it's raining. Any bit of mud/wet ground gets altered when driven on, and it tears up the trails.

I think it's all BS. What do you do if you're out there and it starts raining, camp out until it stops? I asked him that, he didn't have an answer for it.

That's just the info I got. Drive in any mud, get a ticket.

colemancooler
09-13-2009, 01:30 PM
sometimes they get a little fired up. this is what tread lightly says,
When possible, avoid mud. Save wet, muddy trails for another day when they are dry. If you do come upon mud on the trail, donít widen the trail by going around it. Drive through it by going easy on the gas to avoid wheel spin, which can cause rutting.
but most trails have seasonal closures to control wet season travel damage, I believe that spinning your tires on purpose is what will get you in trouble :dontknow:

Snyder
09-14-2009, 04:23 AM
Good pics. Those winches got one heck of a work out. No windshield, no top... No Thank You! Not in the rain. I'm getting to old. :thumbright:

CentralGrand
10-07-2009, 02:42 PM
When I got my ticket, Mr Jonny Law pretty much told me that it's illegal to drive on the trails when it's raining. Any bit of mud/wet ground gets altered when driven on, and it tears up the trails.

That has to be by far the gayest thing I've ever read on here.... WTF... so I guess wheeling up in Rimrock last weekend in 3-4 inches of snow was illegal? Dry trails bring the suck.

colemancooler
10-07-2009, 04:37 PM
Dry trails bring the suck.

I agree :occasion5: