Thread: Boating with camping

Main Admin
    EWA Club Member
    Blog Entries

Boating with camping

Post up a good place in Eastern Washington to have a group boating campout where there is places for a lot of people to RV and Tent camp with places to swim.
    Pacific Northwest 4 Wheel Drive Association Region 4 PR

1951 CJ3A (project)
    1995 Dolphin 34' Motor home, 460, very big gas tanks
    2003 Yukon XL
    2005 Arctic Cat 400 4x4 ATV, Auto-trans, push button 2/4 wheel drive, Front cable locker, 2" receiver, Warn winch, Tusk MTS Rear Trunk.
    2007 JKU Rubicon 3.8L, auto tranny, D44s with 5:38 Nitro Gears, 33x12.50 MT/Rs, 3" lift, Rough County Stubby bumper, 12,000 Mile Marker.
    2013 JD 1023E, diesel, 4x4, Hydrostatic, Rear locker, D120 loader.

Several good parks opperated by the US Army Corps of Engineers along the Snake River, including: Hood Park, Charbonneau Park (above Ice Harbor dam), Fishhook Park (good dock system for overnight moorage, remote, popular in summer, nice place), Lyons Ferry Park (near Palouse Falls). 25-Mile Creek State Park on Lake Chelan (short run up lake to Steheken). Along the Columbia River, there's Crow Butte and Mary Hill State Park, but the water is usually rough. Been to all these parks with my boat. They're kid/group friendly. Heard that Steamboat Rock State Park on Banks Lake (near Grand Coulee Dam) is really good for camping, boating, quads, etc.
    '04 TJ: 4.0L, 3.5" suspension lift, 1.25" body lift, 35x12.5 BFG KM2 w/Staun beadlocks, ARB lockers, high clearance skid plate, on-board air, 4:56 gears, winch

Rimrock Or Osullivan.
    A BAD DAY OF WHEELIN IS ALWAYS BETTER THEN THE BEST DAY AT WORK
    77CJ5 360amc ,NP435,rear=Jap9"Knockoff welded, Jap9"Knockoff lockright,4:11 gears Hydro assist steering

[img]http://i205.photobucket.com/albums/bb317/colemancooler/awrocuserbar.jpg[/img]

Junior Adventurer
    We had a nice time up at banks lake last year....lots for the kids to do...
    Some people are alive simply because it's illegal to kill them.

I think Banks is an awesome place to go, steamboat rock resort or sunbanks resort are both nice. Sunbanks has a stage with concerts on the weekends and a Bar for some nice stiff ones.

Also, i always thought Gettys cove/vantage is nice. The water is always flat for boating. getty's cove has good shade on a hot day and a good wind break for windy nights. Other activities in the ares include rock jumping into the river, a quick drive over to the beverly dunes, or even a gorge concert on the right weekend.

Edit:

Also Moses Lake is a good spot , you get camping,boating and dunes all in one. There is also a quad, seadoo, boat rentals right in town that are fair prices. the even have pontoon boats. And we have no scheduled Moses run this year yet.
    Last edited by St.Paulies; 07-20-2011 at 06:30 PM.

Main Admin
    EWA Club Member
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by St.Paulies View Post
    Also Moses Lake is a good spot , you get camping,boating and dunes all in one. There is also a quad, seadoo, boat rentals right in town that are fair prices. the even have pontoon boats. And we have no scheduled Moses run this year yet.
    Where can you camp close to get boats in the water and the quads to the dunes? We stopped camping at the Moses Lake Dunes because of the problems at night. The crazies like running through everyone's camp. Feels like you are in a Mad Max movie camping there. I event thing I saw this truck there one night:

1951 CJ3A (project)
    2003 Yukon XL
    2005 Arctic Cat 400 4x4 ATV, Auto-trans, push button 2/4 wheel drive, Front cable locker, 2" receiver, Warn winch, Tusk MTS Rear Trunk.
    2007 JKU Rubicon 3.8L, auto tranny, D44s with 5:38 Nitro Gears, 33x12.50 MT/Rs, 3" lift, Rough County Stubby bumper, 12,000 Mile Marker.

things are alot better on the dunes now. Local sheriff's office has put a strict enforce on the dunes and all the crazy's stay away.They a frequent patrols now and have invested in brand new off-road sheriff's vehicles. Because of this the dunes have been less occupied on weekends that are not holidays.i even take my family now. I still stay away on big 3-day weekends because too many seattle n00bs come over and dont know wtf they are doing.

of coarse the beach where the dunes meets the lake is a nice place for a day hang out of riding and boating,and BBQ (i do this every weekend). and if we didnt want to camp at the dunes there is a great rv lot down the street and another across i-90 about 2 miles away. But again camping at the dunes is free and if we are all camped together no one will bother us. (well almost free, aside from a discovery pass) lol

Edit:

in case i wasnt clear, we launch the boat at the boat launch but you can easily beach your boat at the dunes whit no harm done. this is nice for boating with alot of ppl but keeping your head count on the boat down. its hard on the boat packing around 10 ppl all over the lake.
    Last edited by St.Paulies; 07-21-2011 at 01:33 AM.

Charbonneau Park and Fishhook may be hard to reserve a spot unless you book way in advance. We like to go up the Coulee Gorge to Blue Lake, just past Soap Lake, and just before Sun Lakes Resort/State Park. There are a couple little private RV parks we seem to always be able to reserve a spot. Coulee Lodge Resort, and Blue Lake Resort (pic). They both have a small store for supplies/tackle, swim area, overnight moorage, tenting areas, RV sites, and Rental cabins/trailers for those who would rather "camp" that way. Coulee Lodge Resort has a few more shade trees in the camping area, and the tenting area is right next to the water. Blue Lake Resort has some nice RV spots right next to the water. Here is a pic of our campsite right next to the boardwalk and our old boat behind it.
    2004 TJ. Some tires, a winch, and stuff.

Main Admin
    EWA Club Member
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by TJDave View Post
    Charbonneau Park and Fishhook may be hard to reserve a spot unless you book way in advance. We like to go up the Coulee Gorge to Blue Lake, just past Soap Lake, and just before Sun Lakes Resort/State Park. There are a couple little private RV parks we seem to always be able to reserve a spot. Coulee Lodge Resort, and Blue Lake Resort (pic). They both have a small store for supplies/tackle, swim area, overnight moorage, tenting areas, RV sites, and Rental cabins/trailers for those who would rather "camp" that way. Coulee Lodge Resort has a few more shade trees in the camping area, and the tenting area is right next to the water. Blue Lake Resort has some nice RV spots right next to the water. Here is a pic of our campsite right next to the boardwalk and our old boat behind it.
    Wow that ooks like a nice place to camp.

1951 CJ3A (project)
    2003 Yukon XL

it is a really nice place. I have stayed there alot. it is very choice. They even got a small playground for the little ones. And dry falls hike is right down the road.

In two weeks, I'm dragging my boat over to Lake Pend Oreille in Idaho for a few days camping. We go there every year. Beautiful lake.

And no...the boat isn't on the rocks. The water is actually ~5 ft deep at the transom.
    Last edited by TJ40; 07-22-2011 at 11:51 PM.
    '04 TJ: 4.0L, 3.5" suspension lift, 1.25" body lift, 35x12.5 BFG KM2 w/Staun beadlocks, ARB lockers, high clearance skid plate, on-board air, 4:56 gears, winch

Lake Wenatchee is good for a few days of camping. Lots of stuff in the area to do. Plenty to keep kids busy for days.